How to Get Involved
Become a Member of the Delegate Council
All KCMS members are welcome to serve on our Delegate Council. Our Delegates advocate for policy change and identify and craft resolutions/bills to improve the practice of medicine and health care for all.
The KCMS Delegate Council pursues legislative efforts with the help of our dedicated lobbyist, James Paribello. These efforts may be unique to our King County Region, but often the initiatives have potential statewide and federal impacts.
Additionally, KCMS Delegates who are also members of the Washington State Medical Association (WSMA) can serve as representatives in the WSMA House of Delegates (HOD). As the largest voting bloc in the WSMA HOD, our Delegates have a powerful voice in setting legislative priorities and policies affecting organized medicine across WA state.
Delegate work starts in May and welcomes all KCMS members’ feedback during the Delegate Councils resolution crafting process from May until the WSMA meeting in September/October. However, the KCMS Caucus at the WSMA Annual Meeting is reserved for KCMS Delegates ONLY. If you want to be a KCMS Delegate, and join the caucus, check out the Delegate page or contact Program Manager, Shurlon Brathwaite at email@example.com.
Serve on a Committee
We invite King County Medical Society members to serve on any of our five (5) active committees that enables members to work collaboratively with colleagues and medical professionals across King County to improve healthcare, shape policy, and effect change in their community.
King County Medical Society Committees:
- Public Health CommitteeExamines existing public health programs and develops new programs to address issues of concern.
- KCMS -CF Scholarship Committee Works to design and offer scholarships from the King County Medical Society Community Foundation. More information is available on the Community Foundation page.
- Events and CME Committee Develops the CME events, the KCMS – CF Awards Event, and other meetings offered by the Society.
- Mental Health Committee Reviews programs and determines how KCMS can participate in mental health policy development.
- Historical Committee Hosts a monthly “Speaker Series” to honor the history of KCMS and advances in medical practice. On HOLD during Covid.
If you are interested in joining a committee, please contact Sr. Program Manager, Shurlon Brathwaite at firstname.lastname@example.org.